Struct rand_distr::weighted_alias::WeightedAliasIndex

source ·
pub struct WeightedAliasIndex<W: AliasableWeight> { /* private fields */ }
Expand description

A distribution using weighted sampling to pick a discretely selected item.

Sampling a WeightedAliasIndex<W> distribution returns the index of a randomly selected element from the vector used to create the WeightedAliasIndex<W>. The chance of a given element being picked is proportional to the value of the element. The weights can have any type W for which a implementation of AliasableWeight exists.

§Performance

Given that n is the number of items in the vector used to create an WeightedAliasIndex<W>, it will require O(n) amount of memory. More specifically it takes up some constant amount of memory plus the vector used to create it and a Vec<u32> with capacity n.

Time complexity for the creation of a WeightedAliasIndex<W> is O(n). Sampling is O(1), it makes a call to Uniform<u32>::sample and a call to Uniform<W>::sample.

§Example

use rand_distr::WeightedAliasIndex;
use rand::prelude::*;

let choices = vec!['a', 'b', 'c'];
let weights = vec![2, 1, 1];
let dist = WeightedAliasIndex::new(weights).unwrap();
let mut rng = thread_rng();
for _ in 0..100 {
    // 50% chance to print 'a', 25% chance to print 'b', 25% chance to print 'c'
    println!("{}", choices[dist.sample(&mut rng)]);
}

let items = [('a', 0), ('b', 3), ('c', 7)];
let dist2 = WeightedAliasIndex::new(items.iter().map(|item| item.1).collect()).unwrap();
for _ in 0..100 {
    // 0% chance to print 'a', 30% chance to print 'b', 70% chance to print 'c'
    println!("{}", items[dist2.sample(&mut rng)].0);
}

Implementations§

source§

impl<W: AliasableWeight> WeightedAliasIndex<W>

source

pub fn new(weights: Vec<W>) -> Result<Self, WeightError>

Creates a new WeightedAliasIndex.

Error cases:

Trait Implementations§

source§

impl<W: AliasableWeight> Clone for WeightedAliasIndex<W>
where Uniform<W>: Clone,

source§

fn clone(&self) -> Self

Returns a copy of the value. Read more
1.0.0 · source§

fn clone_from(&mut self, source: &Self)

Performs copy-assignment from source. Read more
source§

impl<W> Debug for WeightedAliasIndex<W>

source§

fn fmt(&self, f: &mut Formatter<'_>) -> Result

Formats the value using the given formatter. Read more
source§

impl<'de, W> Deserialize<'de> for WeightedAliasIndex<W>
where W: Deserialize<'de> + AliasableWeight, W::Sampler: Deserialize<'de>,

source§

fn deserialize<__D>(__deserializer: __D) -> Result<Self, __D::Error>
where __D: Deserializer<'de>,

Deserialize this value from the given Serde deserializer. Read more
source§

impl<W: AliasableWeight> Distribution<usize> for WeightedAliasIndex<W>

source§

fn sample<R: Rng + ?Sized>(&self, rng: &mut R) -> usize

Generate a random value of T, using rng as the source of randomness.
source§

fn sample_iter<R>(self, rng: R) -> DistIter<Self, R, T>
where R: Rng, Self: Sized,

Create an iterator that generates random values of T, using rng as the source of randomness. Read more
source§

fn map<F, S>(self, func: F) -> DistMap<Self, F, T, S>
where F: Fn(T) -> S, Self: Sized,

Create a distribution of values of ‘S’ by mapping the output of Self through the closure F Read more
source§

impl<W> Serialize for WeightedAliasIndex<W>

source§

fn serialize<__S>(&self, __serializer: __S) -> Result<__S::Ok, __S::Error>
where __S: Serializer,

Serialize this value into the given Serde serializer. Read more

Auto Trait Implementations§

Blanket Implementations§

source§

impl<T> Any for T
where T: 'static + ?Sized,

source§

fn type_id(&self) -> TypeId

Gets the TypeId of self. Read more
source§

impl<T> Borrow<T> for T
where T: ?Sized,

source§

fn borrow(&self) -> &T

Immutably borrows from an owned value. Read more
source§

impl<T> BorrowMut<T> for T
where T: ?Sized,

source§

fn borrow_mut(&mut self) -> &mut T

Mutably borrows from an owned value. Read more
source§

impl<T> From<T> for T

source§

fn from(t: T) -> T

Returns the argument unchanged.

source§

impl<T, U> Into<U> for T
where U: From<T>,

source§

fn into(self) -> U

Calls U::from(self).

That is, this conversion is whatever the implementation of From<T> for U chooses to do.

source§

impl<T> ToOwned for T
where T: Clone,

§

type Owned = T

The resulting type after obtaining ownership.
source§

fn to_owned(&self) -> T

Creates owned data from borrowed data, usually by cloning. Read more
source§

fn clone_into(&self, target: &mut T)

Uses borrowed data to replace owned data, usually by cloning. Read more
source§

impl<T, U> TryFrom<U> for T
where U: Into<T>,

§

type Error = Infallible

The type returned in the event of a conversion error.
source§

fn try_from(value: U) -> Result<T, <T as TryFrom<U>>::Error>

Performs the conversion.
source§

impl<T, U> TryInto<U> for T
where U: TryFrom<T>,

§

type Error = <U as TryFrom<T>>::Error

The type returned in the event of a conversion error.
source§

fn try_into(self) -> Result<U, <U as TryFrom<T>>::Error>

Performs the conversion.
source§

impl<V, T> VZip<V> for T
where V: MultiLane<T>,

source§

fn vzip(self) -> V

source§

impl<T> DeserializeOwned for T
where T: for<'de> Deserialize<'de>,